Cottage Pie offers a simple, tasty and family friendly budget meal that everyone will enjoy.
I enjoyed how easy it was to create with your basic household ingredients and you could easily hide veggies in the meat for fussy eaters as well. The kids loved this recipe so much they have requested it become a weekly staple!
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 kg Beef Mince
- 2 onions finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely diced
- 4-5 mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 Tsp flour
- 3 T Worchester sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2T tomato paste
- Parmesan (optional)
- 6-8 Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 Garlic Gloves, peeled
- ½- 1 cup milk
- 80g butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Place olive oil and mince into a large pan. Season well and cook to brown mince.
- Remove excess liquid, then add onions and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, mushrooms, thyme and wine, cooking for a minute to reduce wine.
- Add flour and stir around to mix through well.
- Add Worchester sauce, beef stock, tomato paste and peas, mixing everything together.
- Bring to a to simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes to thicken sauce.
- Allow to cool.
- Using a spray oil; spray a large casserole dish, then add your meat to the dish.
While the meat is cooking, you can create the mash:
- Add potatoes and garlic cloves to large pot. Fill with water to cover potatoes
- Boil for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. You can check them, by sticking a knife or fork into them – if they are soft and break easily they are ready.
- Once ready, drain water.
- Add butter and a little milk and start mashing. Continue to add milk in small amounts to bring the mash together until you reach the desired smoothness and consistency. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Top the meat in the casserole dish with your mash.
- Cook in oven (180 degrees) for 20 or so minutes to brown the mash.
- Serve and enjoy
Tip: Add a little more flavour to your Cottage Pie by sprinkling grated Parmesan on top when serving.
Find more Budget Family Recipes